To be considered for admission to the Graduate Certificate in Medical Neuroscience, students must:
- Have a bachelor’s or graduate degree in a biological science background or equivalent work experience
- Have a minimum cumulative undergraduate of 2.5 or a graduate grade point average of 3.0
- Write a reflective essay describing how the certificate will enhance their professional and personal development
- Submit three letters of recommendation
Note: GRE scores are not required for admission
Applications for Fall Semester admission are due on May 1 of each year.
Applications for Spring Semester admission are due on October 1 of each year.
How to Apply
For consideration, submit the following materials:
- Complete the online MSU Application for Graduate Certificate. Start a new application. The certificate program code is 7135. After you have completed your application, please feel free to contact the Neuroscience Program office at firstname.lastname@example.org anytime after the application deadline to verify your application is complete. Our admissions committee does not review incomplete applications.
- The application fee of $65 (online submission with MSU Application) - For all applicants domestic and international. University policy states that applications will not be processed unless the application fee is paid, without exception.
- 3 Letters of Recommendation. Please provide contact information for your recommenders and the MSU application system will provide instructions to them.
- A personal statement - Describe your interest in pursuing graduate education in Medical Neuroscience. Explain how the certificate will enhance your professional and personal development. Include relevant information such as work and educational background, personal attributes and qualities, and other experiences that will help you succeed in this program. Submit your personal statement to the application portal. To upload your personal statement, please go to https://admissions.msu.edu/gradportal/
- Transcripts (mail directly to Neuroscience Program or send electronically to email@example.com) - From ALL institutions attended after high school. These must be originals in signed and sealed envelopes, no copies accepted. Transcripts sent electronically MUST be sent directly from your academic institution or clearing house. Transcripts uploaded to the portal by the applicant are not official transcripts and will not be considered:
Michigan State University
293 Farm Lane, Room 108
East Lansing, MI 48824-1101
Phone: (517) 353-8947
Fax: (517) 432-2744
Please view the Controller's Office website for tuition rates for in-state and out-of-state enrollment.
Individuals interested in taking our courses as a non-degree seeking student can apply for MSU Lifelong Education status. There are no admissions requirements to apply for Lifelong Education.
If you choose to apply to the Medical Neuroscience Graduate Certificate Program after completing some coursework, the Admissions Committee does take prior coursework into consideration. However, the Neuroscience Program cannot guarantee a seat in a program even with successful completion of coursework. Up to 9 Lifelong Education credits may be converted to graduate credit if accepted to a program, provided they are approved courses.
Current MSU Graduate Students
All current MSU graduate students studying in a science field (excluding Neuroscience Program PhD students) are invited to enroll in our courses.